CROMAX® IH 482 – INDUCTION-HARDENED, HARD CHROME BAR
- The thickness of the chrome layer is minimum 20 μm
- The surface roughness (Ra) is always less than 0.2 µm and normally in the range 0.05-0.15 µm. Rt (ISO) is always less than 2.0 µm and normally in the range 0.5-1.5 µm
- The chrome layer hardness is 850 HV0.1min. The surface hardness in the induction-hardened zone immediately beneath the chrome layer is 55 HRC min. The depth of hardening, which is defined as the distance from the steel/chrome interface at which the hardness has dropped to 400 HV5, is dependent on diameter as tabulated below:
- Hardening depth (mm): 1.0 – 1.5
- Hardening depth (mm): 1.3 – 1.7
- Hardening depth (mm): 1.7 – 2.3
- Other hardening depths can be supplied by special arrangement
- The maximum deviation is 0.2 mm/1.0 m
- The out of roundness is maximized at 50% of the diameter tolerance interval
- ISO f7 is standard. Other tolerances can be supplied upon request (narrowest range is ISO level 7)
- Tensile strength (Rm): 850- 1000 MPa
- Yield strength(Re): 580 MPa
- Elongation (As): 14%
- Hardness (HBW): 250 – 300
- Resilience (-20°C): No guarantee given, but normally 15 – 30 J
- CROMAX 482
- EN 38MnVS6
- DIN 38MnSiVS5
- AFNOR 30MV6
- SAE/ASTM 1045V
Induction-hardened Cromax® IH 482 is based on a medium carbon, micro-alloyed steel, which is characterised by high strength in the as-rolled condition, i.e. without heat treatment. The 482 base steel is a cost-effective alternative to traditional low-alloy, quenched and tempered grades with, in the context of piston-rod applications, equivalent properties.
The analysis of the base steel in Cromax IH 482 is well adapted to induction hardening and a high and uniform hardness is achieved throughout the case irrespective of diameter. In consequence, the resistance to even high-energy external impact is excellent.
(Ø) ≤28 mm
(Ø) >28 – 40 mm
(Ø) >40 mm
TYPICAL MECHANICAL PROPERTIES:
Below is the closest equivalent standard for the steel in Cromax IH 482. In most cases, the correspondence is only approximate.
Ovako Cromax is the major manufacturer in Europe of hard-chrome plated products in the form of bar and tube.
STANDARD SIZES (available in stock)
|Diameter (mm)||Weight (kg/m)||Diameter (inch)||(mm)||Weight (kg/m)|